Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, February 5, 2016

Is She In Love with Her Friend's Brother?

Dear Bro Jo,

Dating = not my strength.

I guess I will just throw it out there that I am 20, and live in good, ole Provo, UT where the Church reigns and dating (for me) seems to...well, not.

But that's not my point.

I have interest in the brother of my best friend.

He is a really awesome guy!

She knows about it, even encourages it because she believes he and I would legitimately work well together.

The first time I met him he actually gave me priesthood blessing because I was very ill.

I have since talked to him here and there, but nothing much. I always think I have gotten up the nerve to talk to him, but when it comes down to it, I always bail at the last second.

I am normally a pretty outgoing, friendly person, but he is so intimidating.

I have talked to my friend about it and she just kind of laughs and says he is just "that way."

Which is fine, but makes my life difficult just a bit.

How do I work up the nerve to actually talk to the guy, when he is so serious, I feel like he might punch me in the face (over exaggeration, but, you get the point)?

- McStruggles




Dear McStruggles, 

I don't get the point at all. 

I think your problem is that you're putting too much emphasis on the situation and too much stress on yourself. 

You have no idea if this will even turn into something. 

Talking is just talking, and those first few dates are just dates. 

Your eternal happiness does not ride on everything going perfectly with the only perfect guy in the universe. 

So relax. 

Get over it. 

Pray if it helps. 

But you need to dig deep and take the risk. 

Not just to talk to him, but you may even have to suggest to him that he ask you out. 

If you don't you're going to regret it. 

Serious Single Dating does not mean that we take ourselves or every date too seriously. 

- Bro Jo

No comments: