Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Family Issues: Part 2 of 2

Dear Bro Jo,

Thought I'd give you a quick update.

A lot has happened in the month since I first wrote. Everything seems to be confirming what I've been thinking about and what you have said. However, I'm sorry to say that I've been procrastinating. If I'm being honest, I have to admit that I'm scared. The youth in our area recently had the opportunity to go to a fireside with Elder Bednar.

My brother's family was there, and it was nice to talk and catch up again.

What worries me is losing what little I have left of that side of my family.

Any tips for gathering up the courage to get this done?

Thanks,

- Brother




Dear Brother,

It's like anything really . . . like President Kimball said, you just "Do It".

I think that when we regret not taking action that's the Spirit telling us to Go and Do.

That and, well . . . as always, prayer helps.

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Hi Bro Jo.

Since my last email, I've spoken with my brother and one of my sisters.

Things were awkward at first, but that's not too unusual for my family.

My sister and I probably made the most progress.

Part of that had to do with letting her know that I just wanted to understand, or at least try to understand, how she felt.

At this point, I'd say we're friends at least, and we're back to greeting each other at Church and such now.

My brother was a little more standoffish.

The two of us both have a tendency to show negative emotions more so than positive emotions, so I was worried that we'd both end up angry and hurt.

That didn't happen, but we're more or less where we were before.

While I don't like that, I can accept it.

We haven't even been around each other for the better part of nine years.

I don't know how he felt, but it did feel weird to be sitting across from him and actually speaking to each other.

I don't know how much progress was made, but if nothing else, I think we both got to say some things that couldn't be said when I was eight and he was thirty-five.

Thanks for your advice and motivation.

My concerns were more for these two siblings than my other two.

Now I know where they stand, and I feel like two decades worth of resentment on both sides may slowly be starting to fade.

My biggest worry now is that I may be a little too optimistic, but I'll try to stay realistic.

Thanks again,

- Brother





Dear Brother,

Proud of you, Bro!

Nice work!

And thanks for the update.

- Bro Jo

No comments: