Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Is It Time to Go Home?

Dear Bro Jo,

I have been contemplating my schooling decisions for a while now.

I currently attend BYU-H.

I love the school but I miss being home and want to go home.

Here's where it gets complicated:  I recently was in a terrible relationship here at school and it did not end very well.

After that ended I was able to go home for a month to get away from the situation.

While at home I ended up talking and hanging out with my ex who I broke up with to attend school.

He is a great Return Missionary who treated me well, he has asked about getting back together and I want to.

I'm just not sure how we could make it work if I stayed in Hawaii.

Now that I'm back at school I have to make the decision to stay or to go home and continue my schooling at home.

I feel that I keep letting my feelings for boys interfere with that decision.

I feel that I want to leave school to be with my Return Missionary and to get away from the abusive ex I have here on campus but at the same time I love going to school here.

I'm torn!

I'm so unsure of what to do and if running away to home and the boy I feel safe with is a good idea. 

Do you have any insight on the issue?

Sincerely,

- Confused College Girl




Dear College,

I've been thinking about your email since you sent it.

I think this is only complicated because you're making it complicated.

If you want to go home . . . you miss home . . . you can continue your schooling there . . . AND there's a possible great relationship possibility . . . gosh, I just can't think of any reason for you to stay where you are.

At the very least, other than BYU-H being a good school - which it is - you haven't given me any reasons to stay there.

Look, I typically don't recommend moving somewhere for relationship before it's on solid committed ground, but it's not like you're moving AWAY . . . you're moving HOME.

And I see a difference there.

Going home AND giving a relationship a chance?

To me that's a no-brainer.

- Bro Jo

No comments: