Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, January 19, 2015

Questions About Online Dating

Dear Bro Jo,

Hi,

What if you could not bring your boyfriend home to meet your parents what would you do?

What if a girl dated a boy that had been married before do you think this would be a good idea or not?

What if a girl meet a boy that has children would this be a good idea or not?

How much older should a boy be if the girl is age 25?

I'LL be waiting for your answers to my questions above.

From,

Name Withheld




Dear NW,

Can we be less cryptic,  please?

Why can't you take him home to meet your parents?

How old is he?

How old are you?

How long was he married? And how long ago was it?

How old are his children?

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

I'm not dating anyone who has been married or has kids.

My Mom signed me up on a LDS dating site and there was a guy that has been married and has kids that is why I asked you what you thought about me dating someone who has been married and has kids.

I didn't ask for my Mom to sign me up for a dating site she did it and then told me I don't like when someone signs me up for a website then doesn't tell me ‘til after the fact.

What do you think is the right age of a guy I should be looking for I'm age 25?

- NW




Dear NW,

Ah. I see.

At 25 I think anyone from 23 to 35 is in your age range.

I don't think him having kids is a deal breaker, but it certainly can make things much more complicated.

I think when kids are in the picture that things need to go a little slower and be a little more casual than they might otherwise.

I frankly think that the first couple dates should be lunches that the kids don't know about.

Not that things should necessarily be kept secret, but premature emotional attachments should be protected against.

And don’t be too hard on your mom.

I agree that she shouldn't have signed you up behind your back, but I can understand her reasoning, especially if you're lacking in experience, training, and or motivation.

Happy dating!

- Bro Jo

PS:  Be VERY careful about who you agree to meet in person that you've met online.  Very rarely is someone exactly who they say they are.  Keep those initial meetings public; eliminate the "pick up" part of Plan, Pick Up and Pay until you've met a few times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've met over twenty guys doing online dating (I'm sure there are those who have met more). And it's been a roller coaster ride. Just be prepared to get thrown around a bit and that no guy will be the same in person. In fact though, some are better in person. And most importantly, I've walked away with some crazy dating stories and at the time they were hard to go through but I've been through enough now that I just know it's part of the game so learn to grow a thick skin. But most importantly, have fun!