Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, December 8, 2014

Surviving a Break Up - Part 2

Dear Bro Jo,

Hi, Thanks.

It helps that a few weeks prior to the breakup, I recognized that I was feeling a "stupor of thought", and was wondering what the heck I was doing that was not in accordance with the Lord.

When we broke up, I was heartbroken, but I also felt at peace, and knew right away that the constant confusion I was feeling was from this relationship.

It was really a very healthy, stable relationship, and had he not made the spiritual choices he did, it could have very well worked out and we would be married next fall.

But there must be more I am supposed to do.

Around the same time that the confusion entered my head, the thought of a mission did, too. I am going to give it all time, though. (Conference has certainly continued to hammer the idea, though!)

I know much of his questions were simply based off of his "own understanding" of who God is, what the Bible means, and the like.

It is as though he was not willing to be flexible or try to understand.

In conference, Elder Bednar talked about how conversion comes from having a testimony.

I look back now and realize he was never truly converted.

If he was, he would have been open to the Spirit and able to understand why his "understanding" was incorrect.

The YSA's here really are fantastic.

I have no intention of getting into another relationship at this moment in time, simply because I feel like I could easily "rebound", and need to get past this point.

But a lot of guys at Church talk to me and invite me to do things, like swimming parties after FHE with a campfire after (crazy that it's still hot enough to go swimming!), group movie nights, game nights, and the like.

I plan on using some of your "how to get a guy to ask you on a date" moves in the future with a few of these men.

I'm completely down for having fun, being with good, wholesome people, and just enjoying my young adult life. I'll be happy with my circumstances (Uchtdorf reference!), and live on the Lord's timing. Everything will be okay. :)

Thanks again,

- Spinning




Dear Spinning,

Anytime.

And, for what it's worth, I think you'd be a great missionary.

Whichever is the right path, I'm sure you'll be fine.

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Woo-hoo Bro Jo!

You were dead on about guys wanting to date me, but I was 'taken'. I've got a date tomorrow!

I'm so happy with life right now. It's fun!

- Spinning




Dear Spinning,

Good for you!

Hope you have a great time,

- Bro Jo

No comments: